Re: Bug #728: Interactions between bytea and character encoding

From: Joe Conway <mail(at)joeconway(dot)com>
To: Joe Conway <mail(at)joeconway(dot)com>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>,Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Anders Hammarquist <iko(at)strakt(dot)com>,pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org, Tatsuo Ishii <t-ishii(at)sra(dot)co(dot)jp>
Subject: Re: Bug #728: Interactions between bytea and character encoding
Date: 2002-08-04 07:45:54
Lists: pgsql-bugs
Joe Conway wrote:
> Bruce Momjian wrote:
>
>> Does this mean we don't have to esacpe >0x7f when inputting bytea
>> anymore?
>

> I seem to remember that bytea data was run through the multibute code
> for some reason, and I don't recall seeing that changed. ISTM that we
> shouldn't force bytea thought multibyte functions at all.
>
> The UNKNOWNIN patch did address part of the problem, just not all of it.
> Previously all 'unknown' data was initially cast as TEXT, and thus was
> subject to multibyte character set interpretation. But there was another
> execution path that was not dealt with. I'll search the archives for the
> thread.

Here's the remaining issue that I remembered; see:
   http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2002-04/msg00256.php

The gist of this is that when client and server encoding don't match,
pg_do_encoding_conversion() gets called, regardless of data type. This
is the *wrong thing* to do for BYTEA data, I think. Fixing this,
combined with the UNKNOWNIN/OUT fix we did earlier, should eliminate the
need to escape the high bit characters when inputting bytea. The only
characters which *should* need to be escaped are the ones originally
escaped by PQescapeBytea. IMHO of course ;-)

Joe

Joe