Re: Money locale currency symbol position

From: Marko Mikulicic <marko(at)seul(dot)org>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Money locale currency symbol position
Date: 2002-07-29 16:11:36
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Tom Lane wrote:
> Marko Mikulicic <marko(at)seul(dot)org> writes:
>
>> The code in cash.c should be cleaned up completely
>

> Such criticism is best expressed in the form of a patch ;-)

No problem, I will send you a patch. However I want to do things
right, because for now my patches for pgsql are ugly hacks that
I keep for myself, mostly for a matter of shame :-)

> Note though that most of us think the current money type is a kluge
> anyway; anything based on int4 storage doesn't have enough significant
> digits. It would be better rewritten as a thin locale-aware veneer
> over type "numeric".
>
> regards, tom lane

I agree.
Is there an example of how to inherit from a parametrized type ?
(just redefine input output, reshape the string and pass it to the
"super class")
Is it possible to redefine only the _in and _out methods of the type
inheriting all other methods.
How can I creeate a new type using two paramaters (size and precision).
Is possible to view the CREATE TYPE command which creates the
internal type numeric?

If you want to use numeric I guess you cannot use strfmon because it uses
float or double and it's not arbitrary precision.
Things should be done by hand, like now.

Marko