Re: pgsql/src/interfaces/ecpg ChangeLog lib/execut ...

From: Thomas Lockhart <lockhart(at)fourpalms(dot)org>
To: Michael Meskes <meskes(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: Neil Conway <nconway(at)klamath(dot)dyndns(dot)org>, pgsql-committers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pgsql/src/interfaces/ecpg ChangeLog lib/execut ...
Date: 2002-07-21 16:11:55
Lists: pgsql-committers

> Frankly I am at a loss here. This happened because I committed something
> from my ecpg_big_bison branch. But it went into HEAD again. The tags
> simply were lost on my directory. I have no clue at all how this could
> happen.

Are you using remote cvs? Perhaps you created the branch (hmm, no I did
that didn't I)? If you had created the branch remotely, then I would
have guessed that after creating the branch you didn't move your tree
*to* the branch using

cvs update -r ecpg_big_bison src/interfaces/ecpg

The symptom is that you have checked out something on the main branch,
or created a tag but did not move your tree to the branch. Or moved your
tree back to the main branch accidentally, before committing.

Try

cvs update -r ecpg_big_bison src/interfaces/ecpg

Ah, perhaps you are updating the rest of the tree using

cvs update -A pgsql

The -A flag forces the code to the main branch, so stay away from it. If
something was checked out on a branch (yours or the main one) it will
stay there unless cvs is directed to change that. So once you've got
your checked-out tree the way you want (mostly on the main branch,
src/interfaces/ecpg on ecpg_big_bison) then say away from "-r" and "-A"
and things should stay the way you want.

You can verify the status of your file(s) *before* committing them by
doing a

cvs status <filename>

hth

- Thomas