Re: bugzilla.pgaccess.org

From: Jan Wieck <JanWieck(at)Yahoo(dot)com>
To: Iavor Raytchev <iavor(dot)raytchev(at)verysmall(dot)org>
Cc: Hannu Krosing <hannu(at)tm(dot)ee>, PostgreSQL HACKERS <pgsql-hackers(at)PostgreSQL(dot)org>, pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: bugzilla.pgaccess.org
Date: 2002-07-11 22:28:47
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-interfaces

Iavor Raytchev wrote:

> > How hard will the migration from MySQLzilla to PostgreSQLzilla be ?
>
> Is this a rhetoric question?
>
> I have no idea.
>
> A posting I saw (by one of the Bugzilla guys, I think) required something to
> be done in PostgreSQL before they can migrate - something exactly related to
> the issue of upgrading from one Bugzilla version to another.

I have included pgsql-hackers again, where this discussion originally
started crossposted.

Hannu's question is absolutely not rhetoric. I see a concern about using
a MySQL based tool for PostgreSQL related project management on a public
site in it.

The Bugzilla project plans to support PostgreSQL in one of their future
releases, but this requires functionality in PostgreSQL, that is not
even scheduled for 7.3. So the availability of a supported PostgreSQL
port of Bugzilla is unpredictable at this time.

My opinion is that a project as closely related to PostgreSQL as
pgaccess should try to use PostgreSQL backed management tools. The
switch to PHP BugTracker or something else at this time would be
easiest, since the Bugzilla installation on pgaccess.org is virgin and
does not contain any data yet.

This is reason why I suggested that switch when you asked for comments
originally. And I have not yet seen any argument against it, nor any
reason why to start off with a MySQL based Bugzilla version now.
Especially when there are equivalent solutions using PostgreSQL
available.

Jan

# Let's break this rule - forgive me. #