Re: Performance of ODBC-Driver /w IIS5.0/ColdFusion

From: Jochem van Dieten <jochemd(at)oli(dot)tudelft(dot)nl>
To: Markus Wollny <Markus(dot)Wollny(at)computec(dot)de>
Cc: pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org, cfdev(at)oosha(dot)com,pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Performance of ODBC-Driver /w IIS5.0/ColdFusion
Date: 2002-07-06 00:07:34
Lists: pgsql-generalpgsql-odbc
Markus Wollny wrote:

> Now what I'd need is some advice on how to locate the bottleneck - could
> it be ODBC itself? If so, how can we find a remedy? Has anybody got some
> similar combination (IIS/CF/ODBC/PGSQL) up and running with similar size
> in terms of access and size of the database? Where it it that we're
> going wrong? Can we tune some ODBC setting somewhere? How do we
> configure ColdFusion correctly to get maximum performance?

Enable full debugging output in ColdFusion. Do not forget to enable it
in each query statement (use the debug="true" attribute) to get query
stats. Compared to what you see when connecting to Oracle, anything
weird? In the NT Performance Monitor, what is the average request time,
queue time and db time?

If you have queries returning multiple rows, make sure you have a
blockfactor set, this can make up a significant difference. Are you
returning text fields in queries? What if you explicitly cast them to
varchar fields (SELECT textfield::varchar ...)?

What are your settings for connection pooling? How does the bahaviour
change when you change that setting? Are you using cfqueryparam by any
chance? What happens if you change that?

Jochem

--
Jochem van Dieten
Team Macromedia Volunteer fro ColdFusion

http://www.macromedia.com/support/forums/team_macromedia/