Re: show() function

From: Joe Conway <mail(at)joeconway(dot)com>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: show() function
Date: 2002-06-24 16:36:36
Lists: pgsql-patches
Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> Joe Conway writes:
>>Attached is a patch which (I believe) addresses Peter's concerns with
>>respect to the previous showguc patch. In this patch, contrib/showguc is
>>gone, the term GUC is not exposed to user space, and a builtin
>>show('gucvarname') function returning a single scalar value has been
>>added, e.g.:
>
> I think this patch still includes a number of leftovers from previous
> attempts, such as a get option by number function.

I was hoping it would be acceptable to leave this function in (as well
as the one to get the number of config variables), once it was renamed
to remove the reference to GUC.

Without it, it is impossible for a user function to return a list of
config variables without prior knowledge of the config variable names. I
would still like to have this ability. The only workaround without these
functions is to parse "SHOW ALL" output which is an awfully ugly
alternative.

Joe