Re: Accessing database statistics

From: "Tony Griffiths(RA)" <griffitt(at)cs(dot)man(dot)ac(dot)uk>
To: "Duncan Adams (DNS)" <duncan(dot)adams(at)vcontractor(dot)co(dot)za>
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Accessing database statistics
Date: 2002-05-30 12:51:12
Lists: pgsql-novice
I tried the explain route, and it looks like the query acts by doing a
complete scan of the table, so not very efficient. Output of the EXPLAIN

 EXPLAIN select count(*) from person;
Aggregate  (cost=22.50..22.50 rows=1 width=0)
  ->  Seq Scan on person  (cost=0.00..20.00 rows=1000 width=0)

looks like I need to consult the system tables.