How to Identify a SERIAL column type?

From: "Phillip J(dot) Allen" <paallen(at)attglobal(dot)net>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: How to Identify a SERIAL column type?
Date: 2002-05-22 18:29:01
Lists: pgsql-novice

Hi all,

I am migrating my MS Access Geochemical Sample database to a Postgresql
7.2 backend. I have a Visual Basic Function(s) that copies all the
properties of one sample to create a new sample with the same
properties. And the properties are in multiple child tables and 1
parent table. This is all done with a glorified SQL generated on the
fly of all fields that are not "AutoNumber" or SERIAL fields. Now in
Acces it all works fine and dandy since before I add the column name to
the SQL string I check to see if its column type is autonumber. But now
with the PSQL tables being linked in with ODBC the serial fields are
just seen as a plain old number.

So how can I identify a column of type Serial or in reality "DEFAULT
netxval(this_column_seq)"?

Thanks,

Phillip J. Allen
Consulting Geochemist/Geologist