Re: PostgreSQL mission statement?

From: mlw <markw(at)mohawksoft(dot)com>
To: jm(dot)poure(at)freesurf(dot)fr
Cc: David Terrell <dbt(at)meat(dot)net>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL mission statement?
Date: 2002-05-02 15:44:34
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Jean-Michel POURE wrote:

> The PostgreSQL community is committed to creating and maintaining the best,
> most reliable, open-source multi-purpose standards based database, and with
> it, promote free(dom) and open source software world wide.
>
> I hope you don't mind writing "free(dom)" with the idea of fighting patent
> abuses.

No, the mission statement is about what the postgresql group, as a whole, is
all about.

I know it seems silly to have such a thing, but really, the more I read on this
discussion, the more it seems like it is a useful "call to arms" for developers
and users alike.

Now, I do not wish to have a manifesto, but a short and sweet "this is who we
are, and this is what we do" could be a positive thing.

P.S. I think every software engineer worth anything should fight software
patents. If Donald Knuth didn't patent his algorithms, practically none of us
deserve patents. I mean seriously, most of the software patents are trivial and
obvious. Knuth did something, most of us only build on his work.