Re: Vote totals for SET in aborted transaction

From: Thomas Lockhart <lockhart(at)fourpalms(dot)org>
To: Jan Wieck <janwieck(at)yahoo(dot)com>
Cc: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Hannu Krosing <hannu(at)tm(dot)ee>, Scott Marlowe <scott(dot)marlowe(at)ihs(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Vote totals for SET in aborted transaction
Date: 2002-04-29 20:06:48
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> I don't really get it. We had a voting and I think I saw a
> clear enough result with #1, transactional behaviour, as the
> winner. Maybe I missed something, but what's this
> disscussion about?

Getting the right solution ;)

There was not a consensus, just a vote, and the *reasons* for the lack
of consensus were not yet being addressed. They are now (or some are
anyway), and the new proposal helped set that in motion.

I would think that a vote in the absence of consensus is not always
optimal (I'll leave aside stating my view on this case ;), but it has
helped focus the discussion. It is always amazing to me how threads
emerge which bring a consensus when there wasn't even one on the
horizon.

- Thomas