Re: explicitly casting return value of avg() to float4

From: Jon Lapham <lapham(at)extracta(dot)com(dot)br>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: explicitly casting return value of avg() to float4
Date: 2002-04-25 19:22:04
Lists: pgsql-general

Tom Lane wrote:
> [snip]
> This isn't really any different from
>
> regression=# select 0.01::float4::float8;
> float8
> ---------------------
> 0.00999999977648258
> (1 row)
> [snip]

True enough.

So, I guess my applications will have to first determine what the column
precision is, an then use the appropriate ::float4 cast if the column is
a float4 column. This stinks... but I do understand why it is the way
it is.

Is there an SQL-ic way to determine the column type (ie: float4) of a
column?

Thanks,
-Jon

--