Re: Vote on SET in aborted transaction

From: Michael Loftis <mloftis(at)wgops(dot)com>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Hiroshi Inoue <Inoue(at)tpf(dot)co(dot)jp>, Jan Wieck <janwieck(at)yahoo(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Thomas Lockhart <lockhart(at)fourpalms(dot)org>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Vote on SET in aborted transaction
Date: 2002-04-25 02:08:56
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Bruce Momjian wrote:

>Hiroshi, we need a psql solution too. People are feeding query files
>into psql all the time and we should have an appropriate behavior for
>them.
>
>I now understand your point that from a ODBC perspective, you may not
>want SETs rolled back and you would rather ODBC handle what to do with
>SETs. Not sure I like pushing that job off to the application
>programmer, but I think I see your point.

Ahhh Hiroshi is talkign formt he aspect of ODBC? Well, thats an ODBC
issue, should be handled by the ODBC driver. Compliance with ODBC spec
(or non-compliance) is not the issue of PostgreSQL proper. Thats the
issue of the ODBC driver and it's maintainers (sorry if I'm sounding
like a bastard but heh).

If we start catering to all the different driver layers then we'll end
up with a huge mess. What we're 'catering' to is the SQLxx specs, and
the expectations of a user when running and developing programs, am I right?