failed regression tests

From: Thomas Lockhart <thomas(at)fourpalms(dot)org>
To: PostgreSQL Hackers List <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: failed regression tests
Date: 2002-04-21 17:19:26
Lists: pgsql-hackers

I'm trying to (finally) get my rather extensive patches (mostly
addressing int8 versions of date/time storage) applied but am now having
trouble with the regression tests.

I'm sure this has been on the list, but I'm not recalling the
explanation or workaround. My guess is that it is related to collation
troubles with the new locale-always-enabled feature. I've tended to
never enable this stuff in the past.

The first symptom is failures in the char regression test. An example
diff is

*** expected/char.out Tue Jun 5 07:20:01 2001
--- results/char.out Sun Apr 21 10:04:08 2002
***************
*** 63,74 ****
WHERE c.f1 < 'a';
five | f1
------+----
- | A
| 1
| 2
| 3

! (5 rows)

So the 'A' row is left out of the result on my machine.

All other failures (there are 7 tests total which fail) are likely
similar in nature. I've tried a "make clean", a "make distclean", and
need a hint on what to try next. I'd *really* like to get these patches
applied, and am almost certain that they are not related to these
regression failures, but...

Early help would be appreciated; I've got time in the next couple of
hours to get this stuff finished!! :)

- Thomas