Re: Bug #630: date/time storage problem: timestamp parsed

From: Michael Loftis <mloftis(at)wgops(dot)com>
To: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Bug #630: date/time storage problem: timestamp parsed
Date: 2002-04-15 07:28:52
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Cuttign down the CC: list this time, apologies if I cut too much and
someone misses a copy of this....

Sean Chittenden wrote:

>The FreeBSD folk are absolutely adamant about having mktime() no
>compensate for deadzones between DST shifts and they insist that the
>application handle this. Someone's off looking at how other OS'es
>handle this, but this could be an arduous battle on that front. <:~)

Personally I'd like to see FreeBSD do away with this strange behaviour.
It cause my grief because certaint hings *MUST* be done at 0200 every
day in our system, I was forced to do them manually recently, shifing
several hours of work into daytime which had to be paused and bulked
into the next days work. I realise that this is getting off track but
it just points out that the FreeBSD behaviour is IMHO WRONG. It causes
applications to fail in an unexpected and odd way.

I'm not objecting to pg patching for it (no choice at the moment) but I
hope the pg team 'officially' puts a little pressure on the BSD folk to
make this behave as expected.

I don't have any compliance docs at the moment, but this strikes me as
somewhat out of spec personally.