Re: contrib/dblink update

From: Joe Conway <mail(at)joeconway(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: contrib/dblink update
Date: 2002-04-15 05:18:13
Lists: pgsql-patches

Tom Lane wrote:
> Joe Conway <mail(at)joeconway(dot)com> writes:
>
>>On a somewhat unrelated topic, I never got any feedback on the
>>unknownin/out patch and the mb_substring patch. Is there anything else I
>>need to do to get those applied?
>

> In my mind, the unknownin/out business was waiting on commentary from
> Tatsuo or Hiroshi on whether it was a bug for the TEXT code to be
> rejecting byte sequences that had got by the initial pq_getstr
> conversion. If it is, then we should be fixing TEXT not adding new code
> for UNKNOWN. But if TEXT's behavior is considered desirable then we'll
> need to change UNKNOWN.

OK -- I did think you wanted to change unknown regardless, so that it
would not alter the input C string in any way. The patch is basically
just that, textin/textout with the multibyte and recode code stripped out.

> Is the mb patch the one that fixes John Gray's oversight in substring?
> If so, I thought that was due to be applied. Bruce, were you going to
> do that?

Yes -- this patch fixed the MB handling in substring and was approved by
John.

Thanks,

Joe