Re: pg_dump and transactions

From: Thomas Lockhart <thomas(at)fourpalms(dot)org>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Ferdinand Smit <ferdinand(at)telegraafnet(dot)nl>,pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pg_dump and transactions
Date: 2002-03-21 16:58:53
Lists: pgsql-patches
> > This (simple) patch creates (if the -T flag is set) a transaction of every
> > insert block, so de import is mostly 10 times faster.
> ... kinda seems like a kluge ...

I haven't looked at the patch to see if, for example, the -T flag takes
a tuple count to determine the size of the transaction blocks. But istm
that this is actually a very useful feature, even though it should not
be required as a direct result of Ferdinand's problems with the copy
functionality.

Why not have a feature which can increase the speed of an insert-style
import? We're not demanding that everyone use it, and we have someone
who went to the trouble to implement it.

                      - Thomas