Re: Estimating Database Disk Space

From: Richard A Lough <ralough(dot)ced(at)dnet(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, PostgreSQL Novice ML <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Estimating Database Disk Space
Date: 2002-03-18 18:51:32
Lists: pgsql-novice

Tom Lane wrote:

> Richard A Lough <ralough(dot)ced(at)dnet(dot)co(dot)uk> writes:
> > I have three databases, each of which take up about 2+ MB when dumped.
> > I have tried deleting one database and re-installing. This suggests that
> > about 38Mb of disk space is taken up by each database. I suspect that if
> > postgres were deleted entirely, about 250 MB would be freed.
>
> A "du" on your $PGDATA directory would give you some facts instead of
> guesses.

It seems to have grown a little, du says:
250540 base
32812 pg_xlog
472 global
4 postmaster.pid
4 postmaster.opts
4 PG_VERSION
0 postgresql.conf

Databases, dumped in text format are 3.3MB, 3.3MB and 1.6MB,
though there are be a couple of empty temporary databases
on the system as well.

Thanks for your reply

Richard A Lough