Re: Arrays vs separate system catalogs

From: Christof Petig <christof(at)petig-baender(dot)de>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, PostgreSQL Development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Arrays vs separate system catalogs
Date: 2002-03-01 08:17:03
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane wrote:

>>During my coding of the per-user/database settings, it occurred to me one
>>more time that arrays are evil. Basically, the initial idea was to have a
>>column pg_database.datconfig that contains, say,
>>'{"geqo_threshold=55","enable_seqscan=off"}'. Just inserting and deleting
>>in arrays is terrible, let alone querying them in a reasonable manner.
>>We're getting killed by this every day in the privileges and groups case.
>>

>>What are people's thoughts on where (variable-length) arrays are OK in
>>system catalogs, and where a new system catalog should be created?
>>

> Seems like an array is a perfectly fine representation, and what's
> lacking are suitable operators. Maybe we should think about inventing
> some operators, rather than giving up on arrays.

IMHO making arrays and relations equivalent is a real challenge. But
this would give the full power of SQL to arrays (subselects, aggregates,
easy insertion, deletion, selection, updates).

But if you manage to make an array accessible as a relation this would
be a big step for mankind ;-)

(e.g. select * from pg_class.relacl where pg_class.relname='pg_stats';

insert into pg_class.relacl values 'christof=r' where
pg_class.relname='pg_stats';

But at least the second example looks unSQLish to me
(I doubt the syntax "insert ... where" is legal))

Seemed a good idea first ... but I don't know whether it is worth the
(syntactic, planning, non-standard) trouble.
Christof Petig