Experimental Feature development in PostgreSQL

From: Justin Clift <justin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: Neil Conway <nconway(at)klamath(dot)dyndns(dot)org>
Cc: Dann Corbit <DCorbit(at)connx(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Experimental Feature development in PostgreSQL
Date: 2002-02-27 02:20:41
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Neil Conway wrote:
<snip>

Hi everyone,

This is getting me to think :

We don't have a really established process for PostgreSQL development
which allows for "experimental features". aka the Linux kernel
"EXPERIMENTAL", and so forth.

aka ./configure --experimental-querycache
--experimental-pertablecostings --expermental-something?

This way, people can still use PostgreSQL as per normal, but it also
allows for development of code which might or might not actually see the
light of day, depending on if it turns out to really be useful.

By default, things should only become "experimental features" after the
correct consideration, not by default. There are situations where it
would be beneficial (perhaps in Neil's example here). If Neil were to
split off a project and do it on Sourceforge, then only some people
would check it out when kind of ready, etc, etc and it wouldn't really
be as available to a wider audience. But if's it part of the present
source tree, I think the experimental features would see a wider
audience and we'd get a better indication of what's good/bad/etc.

Don't know how to support those features, but pretty much developers and
hard-core-users should be the only ones using them and therefore should
be able to figure most of the stuff out for themselves (i.e. we'd only
get the real questions).

Does this seems like a worthwhile viewpoint to consider, then perhaps we
can think about starting it implement it for 7.3? (Wish I could code
better). :)

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift