Re: quotes in SET grammar

From: Thomas Lockhart <thomas(at)fourpalms(dot)org>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: PostgreSQL Hackers List <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: quotes in SET grammar
Date: 2002-02-26 16:44:42
Lists: pgsql-hackers
> I think it would be best to disallow the double-quoted form...
> However, I'm not sure *how* to disallow it without also disallowing
> unquoted words (since ultimately the productions reduce to ColId,
> and the lexer output doesn't distinguish quoted and unquoted
> identifiers).

Well, that would be how to distinguish them; we could define a new
token, say "QIDENT" to refer to quoted identifiers and leave "IDENT" for
the unquoted ones. Then a little work in gram.y should be enough to
finish the job.

The use of IDENT in gram.y is isolated to just a few places so
introducing QIDENT would be almost trivial afaict.

                     - Thomas