Re: PostgreSQL 8.0 ??

From: mlw <markw(at)mohawksoft(dot)com>
To: Colin Faber <cfaber(at)fpsn(dot)net>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Christopher Kings-Lynne <chriskl(at)familyhealth(dot)com(dot)au>, Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL 8.0 ??
Date: 2002-02-26 15:50:36
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Colin Faber wrote:

> Personally, I have to agree with Tom,
>
> Silly versioning like that is for marketing teams and microsoft ;-)
>
> <sarcasm>How about the next version be released as PostgreSQL
> XP</sarcasm>

Let us not all think we are "too good" not to market our work.

I have been involved with too many projects that were technically better, but
managed and marketed poorly, thus failed.

PostgreSQL could use a bit of marketing here and there. The version number
thing? I don't know, but a bit of competitive window dressing would help a
great deal.

I don't know about you guys, but I would LOVE PostgreSQL to be the dominant SQL
engine on small to medium deployments. Not only is it capable of doing so, it
is better than almost all the technologies in that space.

For PostgreSQL to achieve its real potential, the game must be played.