Re: Fix command completion for CREATE TABEL ... AS

From: Fernando Nasser <fnasser(at)redhat(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Fix command completion for CREATE TABEL ... AS
Date: 2002-02-25 14:55:35
Lists: pgsql-patches
Tom Lane wrote:

> Fernando Nasser <fnasser(at)redhat(dot)com> writes:
> > I have no problem with that.  I will be pleased to make SELECT...INTO
> > generate a CreateAsStmt and it will also print CREATE.
>
> Well, if you want to do that then there should be actual revisions to
> the parsetree representation (viz, get rid of INTO), so as to make this
> stuff cleaner instead of dirtier.  INTO is really quite messy right now,
> since we have to cope with pulling what ought to be a top-level
> construct out of a nested SelectStmt.  I would like to see CreateAs
> be a separate statement construct having three fields: target table
> name, optional column name list, and source SelectStmt (pointer to
> a SELECT parsetree).  Then we could remove the INTO field from
> SelectStmt and make the parsetree and parse analysis work cleaner.
>
> However, right now this transformation is (effectively) done in
> analyze.c, and I'm not sure whether it can be done as cleanly in
> gram.y.  But do take a look at it ...

OK, I will take a look to see how difficult it would be to get rid
of 'into' by having a full fledge CreateAsStmt.

> The alternative is to stick with the existing parsetree representation
> and just tweak the command-tag-extraction code to look for an into
> clause and print CREATE if so.

Yes, that is a simple solution.  If the above is to difficult we can do
that.  Thanks for the suggestion.

I will rework the patch to one form or the other.

--
Fernando Nasser
Red Hat Canada Ltd.                     E-Mail:  fnasser(at)redhat(dot)com