Re: 7.2 packaging issues

From: Thomas Lockhart <lockhart(at)fourpalms(dot)org>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: PostgreSQL-documentation <pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: 7.2 packaging issues
Date: 2002-02-07 05:13:01
Lists: pgsql-docs

> First, I noticed the ftp site has pub/docs pointing to 7.1. Seems that
> needs updating. Second, do we have reference manual pages formatted for
> 7.2? I can't find them on the ftp site. I downloaded the docs but it
> was only HTML. Do we have PDF available?

I'm working on hardcopy docs (have a few done already). afaik there was
a decision by the group (or at least no one other than myself advocating
otherwise) to not package hardcopy as part of the main tarball
distribution as of the last release.

So breaking my patootie to make hardcopy available on or before the
release deadline is no longer a requirement afaict. An aside: a few
years ago I spent a significant part of a vacation in Spain working on
PostgreSQL docs for a release, and had the pleasure of getting flamed
afterwards by a, er, person for apparently not working hard enough on
it. So I'm happier with the new arrangement anyway.

Since this release cycle was so drawn out (not sure why, and funny
enough I suspect that others aren't sure why either, but from my pov I
was never quite sure what ironman Tom Lane was going to fix next, and we
*did* keep finding things worth fixing...) we didn't really declare a
firm "two week docs freeze" as we have in the past. But I think we
should plan do do so for upcoming releases for a variety of reasons,
some of which involve docs ;)

And in that case we might have hardcopy at the time of release.

- Thomas