Re: RFD: schemas and different kinds of Postgres objects

From: Hiroshi Inoue <Inoue(at)tpf(dot)co(dot)jp>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden(at)netbsd(dot)org>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, PostgreSQL Development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: RFD: schemas and different kinds of Postgres objects
Date: 2002-01-31 10:37:18
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane wrote:

> Hiroshi Inoue <Inoue(at)tpf(dot)co(dot)jp> writes:
> > For example, doesn't 'DROP table a_table' drop the
> > a_table table in a schema in the *path* if there's
> > no a_table table in the current schema ?
>
> Sure. And that's exactly what it should do, IMHO.
> Otherwise the notion that you can ignore your private
> schema (at the front of the path) if you're not using
> it falls down. Also, we wouldn't be able to implement
> temp tables via a backend-local schema at the front of
> the path.

I don't think it's useful for tables other than temp
ones and I wouldn't use it other than for temp ones.

When we type 'rm a_file' in a shell environment
does the *rm* command search the PATH in finding
the a_file file ? Even though we need to implement
such a search mechanism we would use another path
different from the executable search PATH. I don't
think our *path* is an extension of SQL-path.

I wouldn't complain unless we call the *path*
as SQL-path or an extension of SQL-path.

regards,
Hiroshi Inoue