Re: A simpler way to configure the source code?

From: Justin Clift <justin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: PostgreSQL Development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: A simpler way to configure the source code?
Date: 2002-01-30 14:19:03
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Peter Eisentraut wrote:

> The other day, I did a test build of "everything", which involved
> specifying 17 command-line arguments to configure. This is probably the
> reason why some fringe features are not tested very often: the list of
> options is pretty overwhelming.
>
> I remembered that in the old days PHP had an interactive setup script,
> that asked you mainly yes/no questions about each feature you wanted, and
> would run "configure" based on the answers it got. This sort of thing
> might help our situation, because instead of having to specify all the
> options, users can just keep pressing Y all the time. Of course it could
> also be considered as a general improvement in user-friendliness.
>
> Now I just realized that the latest PHP source code doesn't have this
> thing anymore, so maybe they didn't like it? What do you think?
>
> As far as maintaining something like this goes, I think I have an idea
> that would basically require zero effort, so at least that shouldn't be
> too much of a concern.

I feel having the "fringe features" more tested is a great idea, and
will lead to a better PostgreSQL, and therefore happier users. :) A
friendly, and decently-easy-to-user interactive setup (Linux
"menuconfig" kernel style?) would be beneficial.

If it doesn't add signifcant overhead to maintenance, and is very
portable, it sounds to me like a good idea.

:-)

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift

> --