Re: sequence indexes

From: Hannu Krosing <hannu(at)tm(dot)ee>
To: mlw <markw(at)mohawksoft(dot)com>
Cc: Justin Clift <justin(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Zeugswetter Andreas SB SD <ZeugswetterA(at)spardat(dot)at>, Vince Vielhaber <vev(at)michvhf(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: sequence indexes
Date: 2002-01-29 07:34:04
Lists: pgsql-hackers

mlw wrote:

> Could one run a postgresql process in a lower priority process and
> perform lazy vacuums without affecting performance all that much?

One must be very careful not to introduce reverse priority problems -
i.e. a
lower priority process locking some resource and then not letting go
while
higher priority processes are blocked from running due to needing that
lock.

In my tests 1 vacuum process slowed down 100 concurrent pgbench
processes
by ~2 times.

> A live index compaction can be done by indexing the table with a
> temporary name rename the old index, rename the new index to the old
> name, and drop the old index.

Isn't this what REINDEX command does ?

Hannu