Re: sequence indexes

From: Justin Clift <justin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Zeugswetter Andreas SB SD <ZeugswetterA(at)spardat(dot)at>, Vince Vielhaber <vev(at)michvhf(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: sequence indexes
Date: 2002-01-26 08:08:22
Lists: pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane wrote:

> "Zeugswetter Andreas SB SD" <ZeugswetterA(at)spardat(dot)at> writes:
> >> I've looked at the problem a little bit --- there's literature more
> >> recent than Lehmann-Yao that talks about how to do btree compaction
> >> without losing concurrency.  But it didn't get done for 7.2.
>
> > Yes, there must be. Informix handles this case perfectly.
> > (It uses a background btree cleaner)

As an idle thought, I wonder what other maintenance tasks we could have
a process in the background automatically doing when system activity is
low ?

Maintenance
***********
- Index compaction
- Vacuum of various flavours

Tuning
******
- cpu_tuple costings (and similar) recalculation(s)

Can't think of anything else off the top of my head though.

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift

> Right, I had hoped to fold it into lazy VACUUM, but ran out of time.
> (Of course, had I known in August that we'd still not have released
> 7.2 by now, I might have kept after it :-()

   - Indira Gandhi