Re: PostgreSQL crashes with Qmail-SQL

From: Justin Clift <justin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: Jan Wieck <janwieck(at)yahoo(dot)com>
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL crashes with Qmail-SQL
Date: 2002-01-24 16:48:40
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Jan Wieck wrote:

<snip>

> As said, "simple read-only" is not really something you want
> a full featured RDBMS for. Maybe you are better off with a
> simple and stupid system on the feature level of gdbm or
> MySql.
>
> Jan

I'd agree with this on the query-level functionality... but...

Michael, does Qmail-SQL *store* the email in the database? (haven't
checked)

If so, there's no way I'd want new customer inquiries or other
*important* email stored in a system which didn't know how to fully
recover if the server crashes.

Imagine... 200,000 customer emails in a busy MySQL 3.23.x database, and
the UPS power cuts off.

Erk...

+ Justin