Re: interactive docs

From: Elein <elein(at)nextbus(dot)com>
To: Roberto Mello <rmello(at)cc(dot)usu(dot)edu>
Cc: pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: interactive docs
Date: 2002-01-15 18:56:30
Lists: pgsql-docs
Roberto Mello wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 11, 2002 at 05:22:40PM -0800, Elein wrote:
>
>>As a wiki fan, I'm sorry to say I hate the interactive pages.
>>They are yet another forum for people who should be asking
>>questions in the mailing lists.  They are very distracting.
>>If there were a genuine doc note in that mess, I would never
>>see it.
>>

> Are you volunteering to moderate doc notes? That would mean you'd have to
> scan them once in a while and remove questions, directing questioners to
> the lists.
>

>>If you were to create a question/answer wiki it would probably
>>help a lot of people and ideally people would only really put doc
>>notes and examples on the interactive doc pages.
>>

> That's what mailing lists are for. Wikis have good uses, but so do mailing
> lists.
>
> -Roberto

If I were not the only moderator, I certainly could help.
Tell me how to do it and I'll try to be nice :-) and be
as attentive as my work allows.

While you all are listening, I also have an organization
suggestion.  List the functions that operate on a data
type with the data type.  Just a returns,function(args)
list would probably do.  I rarely look up a data type without
jumping over to functions.  A list of the functions
gives people a better idea of the uses and limitations
of a given datatype.  (I understand this suggestion is
probably too late to be useful to 7.2 docs)

cheers,
elein

elein(at)nextbus(dot)com
(510)420-3120