Re: problems with new vacuum (??)

From: Barry Lind <barry(at)xythos(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: problems with new vacuum (??)
Date: 2002-01-02 05:23:44
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tom,

The platform is Redhat 7.0 with a 2.2.19 kernal.

The behavior is different from the 7.1 vacuum, in 7.1, processes would
just hang since they needed to access the table being vacuumed. So they
would hang as long as the vacuum took on a particular table. In 7.2
they proceed, and don't hang, but take a long time. So you could say
that 7.2 is better than 7.1, but my expectations where higher of 7.2. I
was expecting vacuum to be a benign background process that could run in
parallel with other transactions. That doesn't yet seem to be the case.
I will continue to monitor my system and see if this is reproducable.
I will then try to get a backtrace if I find I have a reproducable case.

thanks,
--Barry