Re: First decent PostgreSQL CBT now on techdocs.postgresql.org

From: Joe Conway <joseph(dot)conway(at)home(dot)com>
To: Justin Clift <justin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: First decent PostgreSQL CBT now on techdocs.postgresql.org
Date: 2001-12-28 06:45:32
Lists: pgsql-announce pgsql-general

Justin Clift wrote:

> For the last month and a half or so I've pretty much devoted all my
> spare time to creating the first of a series of Macromedia Flash Player
> based tutorials on aspects of PostgreSQL. I'm working to get a decent
> Computer Based Training (CBT) implementation going, and I'm fairly proud
> of how this first effort has turned out.

You should be -- very nice work!

> What I'm hoping to get is constructive feedback, as I've put as much
> time, thought, and effort into this first one as I know how to. I'm
> talking HEAPS. Suggestions of what should be the subject of the next
> CBT are also welcome.

Two minor comments:

First, in 7.2+ sequences are based on 8 byte integers on platforms which
support them, so the default maxvalue is 9223372036854775807 instead of
2147483647.

Second, the currval function returns the "value most recently obtained
by nextval for this sequence in the current server process" -- i.e. it
only shows the last value obtained in your own session, and will give an
error if nextval has not already been called within the current session.

If you decide to do a CBT on use of the bytea data type, I'd be happy to
try to help.

Take care (and Happy Holidays!),

-- Joe