Re: Concerns about this release

From: Don Baccus <dhogaza(at)pacifier(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: mlw <markw(at)mohawksoft(dot)com>, Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Concerns about this release
Date: 2001-12-18 17:21:40
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane wrote:

> mlw <markw(at)mohawksoft(dot)com> writes:
>
>>I kind of second your opinion here. I also have my doubts that the
>>default is not as well tested as the option.
>>

> By that logic, we could never make any new releases, or at least never
> add any new code. "New code isn't as well tested as old code" is an
> unhelpful observation.

I'd switch production sites I control more quickly if I didn't have to
run around and change scripts galore to say "VACUUM FULL" rather than
"VACUUM". I personally will let the new VACUUM code run on non-critical
sites for a few months before using it on production sites.

The issue isn't new code, the issue is changing semantics for an old
command when there is no need to do so.

That is a very different thing.

One such change is no big deal, but it's a bad product design philosphy
in general.

--
Don Baccus
Portland, OR