Re: TCL with large objects on Win

From: Andreas Kretzer <andi(at)kretzer-berlin(dot)de>
To: Postgres Interface List <pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: TCL with large objects on Win
Date: 2001-12-04 11:18:45
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

Tom Lane schrieb:

> Andreas Kretzer <andi(at)kretzer-berlin(dot)de> writes:
> > When using the pg_lo_import or pg_lo_export functions,
> > everything is ok under Linux (where I develop and test
> > the application). When I started to make a test under
> > MS I recognized, that all this stuff is broken! It won't
> > import nor export binary data (while a fist test with some
> > pure text and RTF files worked ok). So this all is related
> > to the binary stuff (CR/LF and EOF chars I think).
>
> Ugh. I'm not sure that that stuff was ever tested with Windows clients
> before, and even less sure that it was tested with any recent Tcl
> version. It's very likely that you've exposed a bug.
>
> It's possible that the problem is related to UTF8 translation that's
> been imposed by recent Tcl versions. libpgtcl's original coding
> predates Tcl's adoption of UTF8, and I'm not sure that anyone has done
> a careful review to look for translation issues. So keep that in mind
> while you're looking ...
>
> > if returns the amount of read bytes (lets say we are at the
> > beginning of a large file, so it really reads the 4k bytes).
> > When I test the length of the string, it will be a lot
> > shorter (varies, most time it is about half the size I expected
> > it to be).
>
> This definitely smells like a translation issue: is the length counted
> in bytes, or characters? Does your data contain sequences that might
> be misinterpreted as UTF8 multibyte characters?

Hmm, don't know. What does 'string length $buf' really return in TCL?
And YES!!! Of course there can be any character sequence since the data
is straight forward binary stuff (ZIP-archives, GIF-pictures, WORD-
documents, etc.)

But anyway, thanks for your response! I will keep you informed if I can
find a way to build these DLLs on my own - and then I probably will fix
this stuff and e-mail it to you!

regards
Andreas