éèàïîù Problem

From: Vincent(dot)Gaboriau(at)answare(dot)fr
To: "pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: éèàïîù Problem
Date: 2001-11-28 16:24:14
Lists: pgsql-admin

Hi all,

I had curious problem with the characters like " éèàïîù... " (refer to
my first mail "[ADMIN] character sequence problem" for more
information). My database was encoding with UNICODE.
I have created another one with LATIN1 encoding, and I have'nt anymore
those problems!
Can any one explain to me why? Which encoding is used in postgres when
you say UNICODE? UTF-8?
I thought that UNICODE is knowing all the characters!

Thanks,

Vincent.