Improved index support for \d and \di in psql

From: greg(at)turnstep(dot)com
To: pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Improved index support for \d and \di in psql
Date: 2001-11-19 16:27:12
Lists: pgsql-patches

Here is a better version that allows psql to view functional and
partial indexes. (btw, my previous problem regarding the
partial-index predicate was an extra comma in a select statement)

I've used pg_get_indexdef (in most cases) for the advanced index
information, and put it in the SQL rather than having C
try and parse the string apart.

I also looked in the documentation, but did not find any spots
that need changing. The only thing that seemd to mention
"\d" in docs is the release notes and
sgml/ref/psql-ref.sgml, which is very vague and has no examples
that need changing. Perhaps that example section should be
expanded a bit?

Here is what the psql output looks like after the patch:

(table with a normal, a functional, and a partial index)

template1=# \d foo

Table "foo"
Column | Type | Modifiers
- --------+-----------------------+-----------
foo | integer |
bar | integer |
baz | character varying(20) |
Indexes: abc btree (foo) WHERE (foo < 100),
funky btree (lower(baz)),
simple btree (foo)

(all indexes now list waht table they belong to)

template1=# \di

List of relations
Name | Type | Owner | Table
- --------+-------+----------+-------
abc | index | postgres | foo
four | index | postgres | ftest
funky | index | postgres | foo
one | index | postgres | ftest
simple | index | postgres | foo
three | index | postgres | ftest
two | index | postgres | ftest

(a partial index)

template1=# \d abc

Index "abc"
Column | Type
- --------+---------
foo | integer
btree for table "foo" WHERE (foo < 100)

(a functional index - much improved over just showing 'lower')

template1=# \d funky

Index "funky"
Column | Type
(lower(baz)) | text
btree for table "foo"

Greg Sabino Mullane
greg(at)turnstep(dot)com
PGP Key: 0x14964AC8 200111191050

Attachment Content-Type Size
indexdetail2.patch application/octet-stream 10.7 KB