Re: Blob fields and backups

From: Jim Nasby <decibel(at)decibel(dot)org>
To: william(dot)munoz(at)multiservicios(dot)gov(dot)co
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Blob fields and backups
Date: 2006-11-30 22:05:45
Lists: pgsql-general

On Nov 30, 2006, at 5:15 AM, william(dot)munoz(at)multiservicios(dot)gov(dot)co wrote:
> I have an Oracle DB, where my backup file is 280 GB and growing. I
> also have a
> lot of blob fields there. When i make a backup recover, the blob
> fields are
> there, and my boss is alive.
>
> I want to know how postgresql's backup utilities deal with blob
> fields...

Most people that deal with binary data in PostgreSQL use bytea, which
to PostgreSQL is JustAnotherField. It'll dump and restore just fine.
The one downside is that a lot of binary values get escaped into
octal, ie '\000', which adds a lot of size to the dump. Though, the
custom dump type might get around that. I think that support for
large objects (which are more akin to Oracle blobs/clobs) is in
pg_dump as well, but I've never actually used them.

Ultimately, if you've got a 300G database, you probably don't want to
be using pg_dump anyway; instead use Point In Time Recovery.
--
Jim Nasby jim(at)nasby(dot)net