config problems

From: Henk <henk(at)poppunt(dot)be>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: config problems
Date: 2001-11-12 10:20:07
Lists: pgsql-novice

Hi,

I have some problems configuring postgresql 7.0 . I am using the rpms
on a redhat 7.1 distribution. I want to change the option -N to 64 and
the -B to 128. I put this in the postmaster.opts.default file but when
I restart postgresql and I take a look at the status, it uses N=32 and
B=64. Is there something I should know that isn't in the documentation
? Can there be something wrong with the standard RedHat scripts to
start the server ?
Also, what is the best way to make an estimation of the highest number
of connections my system will be able to handle ? (the server is a PIII
500MHz with 256MB RAM).

thank you,

Henk