Re: It's dead and won't get up!!

From: "KUCHARSKI, DAVID R(dot)" <dave(at)iemco(dot)com>
To: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
Cc: Pgsql Novice <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: It's dead and won't get up!!
Date: 2001-11-08 22:46:21
Lists: pgsql-novice
the man page suggested
#nohup postmaster >logfile2>1  &

from a google search they suggested going to the control tab of linuxconf
and trying to restart the service there.  NO LUCK that way.

when I try:
#su postgres
$ postmaster

I get the following:
/usr/bin/postmaster doesn't know where to find database system data.  You
must specify the directory that contains the database system either by
specifying the -D invocation option or by setting the PGDATA environment
variable.