Re: ECPG - connection name in "EXEC SQL AT ... " statement

From: Christof Petig <christof(at)petig-baender(dot)de>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Michael Meskes <meskes(at)postgresql(dot)org>, pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: ECPG - connection name in "EXEC SQL AT ... " statement
Date: 2001-10-30 10:02:28
Lists: pgsql-interfaces
Bruce Momjian wrote:

> > On Mon, Oct 22, 2001 at 10:34:59AM +0200, Edward Pilipczuk wrote:
> > > I've faced with the problem when trying to pass dynamically connection name
> > > to DB into the "EXEC SQL AT ..." statement.
> >
> > Hmm, the AT statement was never designed to get a dynamic connection name.
> > It appears there was some interaction with other changes.
> >
> > > { ECPGdo(__LINE__, dbcn, "select value from table_name where key  = ?  ",
> >
> > It did accept "dbcn" as connection name, but also add it to the variable
> > list, which of course is not correct.
> >
> > > Is there any other solution ?
> >
> > Use a static connection name? :-)
> >
> > Just joking, this is a bug that has to be fixed.
>
> Can I have a TODO line for this fix?

I can give you several TODO lines for ecpg (including this one)

- implement set descriptor, using descriptor
- make casts work in variable initializations
- allow variable to specify the connection name    << this is it
- implement SQLDA (isn't that already in the TODO list?)
- design a way to select an array of strings into a variable without the need to
specify maximum length and count of strings