Re: Diferent databases on same query...

From: Douglas Rafael da Silva <douglas(at)inducola(dot)com(dot)br>
To: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: Andre Schnabel <a_schnabel(at)t-online(dot)de>
Subject: Re: Diferent databases on same query...
Date: 2001-10-21 00:11:11
Lists: pgsql-sql

>> Hi,
>>
>> I'd like to do a query where can be possible I access tables from
>> diferent databases on the same query.
>> On MySQL, I do:
>>
>> SELECT People1.PersID, People1.Name, Result1.Value, Result1.Date FROM
>> Database1.People1, Database2.Result1 WHERE ...
>>
>> I think on ORACLE works like as:
>>
>> SELECT People1.PersID, People1.Name, Result1.Value, Result1.Date FROM
>> People1(at)Database1, Result1(at)Database2 WHERE ...
>>
>> But Who I can to do this on Postgresql ?
>>

>You CANNOT do that with PostgreSQL.
>But why do you want to do that? IMHO it's a rather bas design to hold data
>in different places, if you need to select them in one query.
>Is there a real reason to hold the tables in different databases?
>
>Andre

Hi, Andre !

Maybe yes, maybe not. I have 6 companies of the same group, little but
they are like as, and they share the main database. But there are data
that are specific of each one. The design of tables is the same for all
them. So, on mysql I had on diferent databases. Thus, on the same query,
I select the name of employee, the truck and invoice of the specific
company. Two companies have server separated. How can I do to do
distribute database server with postgres ? You have a suggestion ?

Thank you,

Douglas.