Re: libECPG: Warning: get descriptor: 7.1 and 7.2 arenot

From: Christof Petig <christof(at)petig-baender(dot)de>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org, Michael Meskes <meskes(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: libECPG: Warning: get descriptor: 7.1 and 7.2 arenot
Date: 2001-10-11 13:31:21
Lists: pgsql-interfaces
Tom Lane wrote:

> Christof Petig <christof(at)petig-baender(dot)de> writes:
> > IIRC the list of descriptor types is terminated by ECPGd_EODT. So the new
> > library can't figure out where the old code's argument stop.
> > Fix: put ECPGd_cardinality behind ECPGd_EODT.
> > I reordered them because of logical considerations, maybe we should weight
> > binary compatibility more than beautiful-sortedness of enum values.
>
> Is that a safe fix?  If there are any places that assume that ECPGd_EODT
> is the largest value of this enum type (eg, for sizing arrays) then
> I think you've got a problem.

I double checked again. No problems at all.

 Christof

PS: Michael, did you know that ecpg does not support casts on variable
inialization ?

   int VAR=(int)2.2;

is illegal in an declare section!
But it is hard to fix (tried five times, 51 shift/reduce conflicts, gave up).
Used the C++ way ( int VAR=int(2.2); )