[Fwd: Re: Serialize]

From: Barry Lind <barry(at)xythos(dot)com>
To: dave(at)micro-automation(dot)net
Cc: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: [Fwd: Re: Serialize]
Date: 2001-10-08 06:25:54
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

Dave,

I share your concerns about this functionality. In fact last month I
wrote the following in response to a patch to this functionality.

I wouldn't mind this being pulled out of the main code line for now and
moved to contrib until it becomes more robust.

>>Robert,
>>

>>Thanks for the patch. While I didn't review it too closely, what I
>>saw seemed fine.
>>
>>However, I have concerns about the feature as a whole, which really
>>has nothing to do with your patch.
>>
>>I don't like the approach taken here for serialization. It seems to
>>me that this is a half baked attempt to reimplement native java
>>serialization. Why not just use java serialization to do what it was
>>intended for? We could then store the results of the serialization in
>>a bytea column, or a LargeObject, or even in a separate table as is
>>done here. However, I am unsure of the desireabilty of creating these
>>additional tables. The bigest reason I don't like the additional
>>tables is that the serialized objects don't ever get deleted.
>>
>>To the extent that this is documented, I think the feature should be
>>marked as experimental with a caution that it may be changed in major
>>non-backwardly compatible ways in the future.
>>
>>thanks,
>>--Barry

There are two areas in the current code that I am uncomfortable with.
This serialize code and the code in org/postgresql/xa. Have you looked
at the xa code?

thanks,
--Barry