Re: Spinlock performance improvement proposal

From: Justin Clift <justin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Spinlock performance improvement proposal
Date: 2001-10-01 13:48:19
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane wrote:

<snip>
> I think the default NBuffers (64) is too low to give meaningful
> performance numbers, too. I've been thinking that maybe we should
> raise it to 1000 or so by default. This would trigger startup failures
> on platforms with small SHMMAX, but we could tell people to use -B until
> they get around to fixing their kernel settings. It's been a long time
> since we fit into a 1-MB shared memory segment at the default settings
> anyway, so maybe it's time to select somewhat-realistic defaults.
> What we have now is neither very useful nor the lowest common
> denominator...

How about a startup error message which gets displayed when used with
untuned settings (i.e. the default settings), maybe unless an option
like -q (quiet) is given?

My thought is the server should operate, but let the new/novice admin
know they need to configure PostgreSQL properly. Would probably be a
good reminder for experienced admins if they forget too.

Maybe something simple like pg_ctl shell script message, or something
proper like a postmaster start-up check.

This wouldn't break anything would it?

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift

> regards, tom lane