Re: Glitch in handling of postmaster -o options

From: Justin Clift <justin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Glitch in handling of postmaster -o options
Date: 2001-09-30 02:46:21
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane wrote:

<snip>

> I wonder whether we should retire -o. Or change it so that the
> postmaster parses the given options for itself (consequently adjusting
> its copies of GUC variables) instead of passing them on to backends
> for parsing at backend start time.

Retiring -o would seem like a good idea. Just about every person I bump
into that's new to PostgreSQL doesn't get -o right for some time. It's
simple in concept, but different from how every other package works, so
it confuses newcomers who don't know the difference between the
different parts of PostgreSQL.

It would be good if we could just having options that replace each -o
option (i.e. -F instead of -o '-F', -x -y instead of -o '-x -y') so it's
similar to how other programs command line arguments work.

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift

> regards, tom lane

- Indira Gandhi