Re: Spinlock performance improvement proposal

From: Justin Clift <justin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: Vadim Mikheev <vmikheev(at)sectorbase(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Subject: Re: Spinlock performance improvement proposal
Date: 2001-09-30 02:31:20
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Vadim Mikheev wrote:

> > I have committed changes to implement this proposal. I'm not seeing
> > any significant performance difference on pgbench on my single-CPU
> > system ... but pgbench is I/O bound anyway on this hardware, so that's
> > not very surprising. I'll be interested to see what other people
> > observe. (Tatsuo, care to rerun that 1000-client test?)
>
> What is your system? CPU, memory, IDE/SCSI, OS?
> Scaling factor and # of clients?
>
> BTW1 - shouldn't we rewrite pgbench to use threads instead of
> "libpq async queries"? At least as option. I'd say that with 1000
> clients current pgbench implementation is very poor.

Would it be useful to run a test like the AS3AP benchmark on this to
look for performance measurements?

On linux the Open Source Database Benchmark (osdb.sf.net) does this, and
it's multi-threaded to simulate multiple clients hitting the database at
once. The only inconvenience is having to download a separate program
to generate the test data, as OSDB doesn't generate this itself yet. I
can supply the test program (needs to be run through Wine) and a script
if anyone wants.

???

> BTW2 - shouldn't we learn if there are really portability/performance
> issues in using POSIX mutex-es (and cond. variables) in place of
> TAS (and SysV semaphores)?
>
> Vadim

- Indira Gandhi