Re: [HACKERS] UTF-8 support

From: Hiroshi Inoue <Inoue(at)tpf(dot)co(dot)jp>
To: Jean-Michel POURE <jm(dot)poure(at)freesurf(dot)fr>
Cc: pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] UTF-8 support
Date: 2001-09-25 00:41:27
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-odbc

Jean-Michel POURE wrote:

> Hello Tatsuo & all,
>

> How about ODBC double-byte support?

If you use 'EUC_xx' or 'UTF-8' as the client encoding
you don't need the multibyte version of psqlodbc driver
but if you use 'SJIS' or 'BIG5' you need the multibyte
version introduced by Eiji Tokuya.

> Is any translation performed between back-end and front-end?

You have to set the connect settings Datasource option like
set client_encoding to 'SJIS'
if you use the different client encoding from that of
server. psqlodbc driver issues above command immediately
after the connection was successful and could use conversion
functionality of PostgreSQL backends.

> Are there special ODBC settings to display Japanese?

pgAdmin.exe doesn't display Japanese characters here
but I can see Japanese characters using pgAdmin source.
There seems to be .. e.g. font problem ...

> Are there limitations due to Windows (95/98/NT)?
> I heard 95 Japanese support was catastrophic.

I've ever used win9X little and don't know the
details.

regards,
Hiroshi Inoue