Re: timestamp with/without time zone

From: Thomas Lockhart <lockhart(at)fourpalms(dot)org>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: thomas(at)pgsql(dot)com, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, PostgreSQL Development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: timestamp with/without time zone
Date: 2001-09-06 05:56:08
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Thomas, any status on this? If not, I should add it to the TODO list.

Well, sure, there is *always* status ;)

I started coding a couple of days ago. So far, no showstoppers.

There are two related issues:

1) I should recode TIME WITH TIME ZONE to conform to SQL99. I had done
it originally with a "persistant time zone" since the SQL9x definition
is weaker than I imagined at the time. afaict it is still a minimally
useful data type.

2) upgrading from 7.1.x to 7.2 will likely require a schema change,
since 7.1.x TIMESTAMP should become TIMESTAMP WITH TIME ZONE, but afaik
someone took out that feature during the 7.1.x series of releases. So a
7.1.x dump will give columns labeled as TIMESTAMP but with values
containing time zones. We *might* want to accept (and ignore?) time zone
fields in TIMESTAMP values for input for 7.2, but that would still leave
folks expecting a data type which recognizes time zones needing to
adjust their schemas during the upgrade.

- Thomas