pg_dump manual?

From: "Horace A(dot) Vallas, Jr(dot)" <hav(at)hav(dot)com>
To: pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: pg_dump manual?
Date: 2001-08-30 20:56:21
Lists: pgsql-docs

I'm writing to this address because the links for mail lists fail and
said to write here if looking for docs and such...

I have some problem that is keeping me from being able to use
pg_dump or pg_dumpall on a 6.4 version. What I have found mentioned
about the error indicates either that my pg_xxxx applications are
the wrong versions for the database (very possible) or that there
is a problem with one or more table values (possibly but all databases
and tables on the machine fail to dump).

Trying to move to a 7.0 version
and simply moving the data dir from the old machine also will not seem
to work on the new...

SOOoooo - I guess I have to write my own pg_dump in order to get the
old data out --- but I don't know exactly what the format of pg_dump
and pg_dumpall might be --- nor which tables will actually be dumped
(for example, I can the the various pg_whatever tables in a base, but
I also see a bunch of tables named "regf12" and I have no idea what
those are or whether I should dump them in my pg_dump program)

Thanks for any pointers and/or docs to help me get this right -- there's
a BUNCH of data that can be lost if I cannot get it out of the old database.

--
Wishing you an "OOBA OOBA" 21st Century!!
Horace ...once known as "Kicker" :-)

Thawte Web Of Trust Notary in SW Houston, Tx.
http://www.hav.com/?content=/thawteWOTnotary.htm
...drop by and chat if I'm online http://www.hav.com/chat/
What is a Vet? ... He is the barroom loudmouth, dumber than five
wooden planks, whose overgrown frat-boy behavior is outweighed a
hundred times in the cosmic scales by four hours of exquisite
bravery near the 38th parallel. ... - Unknown