Creating a Database Other Applications Can Use ?

From: Peter Moscatt <pmoscatt(at)bigpond(dot)net(dot)au>
To: "pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Creating a Database Other Applications Can Use ?
Date: 2001-08-25 03:00:21
Lists: pgsql-novice
I am writing an application that I wish to store data in a database.
 Recently coming over across from MS Windows and being so used to
creating apps that have access to a database file that one can actually
see - lets say it's called 'MyData.mdb' then writing code to access this
database.

Under Linux and PostgreSQL I expected to create a single database file
that I then would write code to access, but all I can see is a directory
that contains a couple more directories that have numbers as their names
and then contain many files that again are named by numeric values.

Do I still need to go that one step further and create a single database
file that my code would use ?

I heard that pg_dump may have created a file but again I can't seem to
find this file anywhere..... what am I doing wrong ?

Pete

pgsql-novice by date

Next:From: brewDate: 2001-08-25 06:45:18
Previous:From: Peter MoscattDate: 2001-08-25 01:49:57
Subject: How to allow other users create databases ?