Re: integrity and inherit

From: Bo Lorentsen <bl(at)netgroup(dot)dk>
To: Oliver Elphick <olly(at)lfix(dot)co(dot)uk>
Cc: "pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: integrity and inherit
Date: 2001-08-24 06:38:43
Lists: pgsql-novice

Oliver Elphick wrote:

> It's in the TODO list...

Are there any plans for whenever this will be fixed ? As fare as I can se, this is
an important feature if you need to use PostgreSQL as a real OO DB.

> There's an example below. resources is the ancestor and has four
> descendants, all at the same level. A resource key must occur only
> once in the whole hierarchy and needs to be available for RI. resource
> is a deferred class; that is, every resource must be a member of one of
> the four descendant classes, so resource itself should have no rows.

Sorry about the dumb question, but with this kind of knowledge, why haven't it
been fixed in the source code ?

The example you gave is somewhat complicated as I don't have much knowledge of the
internals in PosgreSQL. I hope someone will fix this soon, as this "tricker
solution" demands exact knowledge of the layout of postgresql.

If I need more of this hard core knowledge, where do I find this ? --- in the code
?

Thanks for taking you time to write this, I may be forced to use it later :-), but
as for now I will hope that I will be able to live with my non RI version, as I
will be using some kind for application server to access these.

/BL